Habitat For Humanity of Central Iowa is not accepting new applications for the Story County 2017 build year. We will post here when the application process is open again. If you would like to be placed on an application mailed to you when the process is open, email us at email@example.com.
Applications are being accepted for an existing home in Eldora. For more information call, 515-232-8815.
Habitat for Humanity of Central Iowa (HFHCI) builds homes using volunteer labor and local resources, and sells them to pre-qualified partner families with 0% interest mortgages, at no profit. Future Habitat homeowners are determined by their completed applications that include verification of employment, bank balances, public assistance, rental history, and credit references. Applicant information is confidential.
Habitat homes are completed from 1-2 years after the family is selected. The completion date depends on Habitat’s fundraising and volunteers, and partner family’s readiness. If you are selected, we cannot guarantee we will be able to build in the community of your choice. Location depends on the cost and availability of lots.
How can I apply to become a Partner Family?
Habitat for Humanity encourages anyone who can truthfully answer “yes” to the following four questions to consider applying to become a partner family. However, answering “yes” to these questions does not guarantee you will qualify or be selected. Selections are made based on completed applications.
1. Have you lived or worked in Story, Hamilton, or Hardin County for the past six months?
2. Do you have a need for adequate housing?
Need for adequate housing may be characterized by the following:
- Monthly payments that are too high
- Housing that is too small
- Housing or neighborhoods that are unsafe
- Housing that is in poor repair
- Inability to qualify for other mortgage financing or homeownership programs
- Total household income from all sources within the following guidelines:
3. Do you have the ability to pay?
- Ability to pay may be characterized by the following:
- Proven ability to regularly pay bills on time
- Any bankruptcies are at least one year old
- No outstanding liens and judgments
- You will allow HFH of Central Iowa to verify your income, debt, and credit history
- Existing debt is less than 20% of income
- U.S. citizenship or permanent residency
- Ability to make a down payment of approximately $1500 due before the sale of the home
- Ability to pay closing and insurance costs of $550-800 at the time of the sale of the home
- Ability to make monthly house payments of $500-600 which includes the mortgage, property taxes, homeowners insurance, and a maintenance savings.
4. Are you willing to partner with Habitat for Humanity of Central Iowa?
- Willingness to partner may be characterized by the following:
- Willingness to volunteer up to 450 hours of your time to HFH of Central Iowa*
- Willingness to have your family’s name and new house location shared with the public
- Willingness to attend homebuyer and homeowner education programs, such as budgeting and maintenance
How Do I Apply?
If you answered yes to the above questions, or know someone who could, we encourage you to request an application. Please send your name, address, and phone number with “Request for Application” as the subject to our office via mail, a visit to the office, over the phone or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Habitat for Humanity of Central Iowa
401 Clark Avenue, Suite 100
Ames, IA 50010
Phone & Fax: 515-232-8815
Or contact us
Office Hours are 8am-3pm Monday-Friday. Appointments are encouraged because the office is often closed for short periods of time.
Please contact the office if you have any questions or if you would like assistance in completing your application.
HFHCI’s process is governed by equal opportunity housing and lending laws. The Fair Housing Act of 1968 prohibits denying anyone housing on the basis of race, sex, creed, marital status, color or national origin and those factors are not used.