WHO WE ARE
Habitat for Humanity of Central Iowa is a fiscally sound, non-profit organization made up of Individuals and groups from area faith communities, businesses and service groups that donate their time, talent and treasure to help build for God’s people in need. At the end of 2013, HFHCI will have completed and sold 48 homes and will continue to increase production by building and remodeling houses in Hamilton, Hardin and Story county this year. Habitat for Humanity of Central Iowa tithes 10% of our undesignated donations to Habitat for Humanity El Salvador.
HABITAT INTERNATIONAL PARTNERSHIP
Habitat for Humanity of Central Iowa is an affiliate and partner of Habitat for Humanity International. We are both part of the same organization and share the same mission and principles. Read below for more info about Habitat International’s Vision, Mission, and Principles. You can also visit: http://www.habitat.org/how/about_us to learn more. Habitat’s vision: A world where everyone has a decent place to live. Mission statement: Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities and hope. Mission principles
- Demonstrate the love of Jesus Christ. We undertake our work to demonstrate the love and teachings of Jesus, acting in all ways in accord with the belief that God’s love and grace abound for all, and that we must be “hands and feet” of that love and grace in our world. We believe that, through faith, the miniscule can be multiplied to accomplish the magnificent, and that, in faith, respectful relationships can grow among all people.
- Focus on shelter. We have chosen, as our means of manifesting God’s love, to create opportunities for all people to live in decent, durable shelter. We put faith into action by helping to build, renovate or preserve homes, and by partnering with others to accelerate and broaden access to affordable housing as a foundation for breaking the cycle of poverty.
- Advocate for affordable housing. In response to the prophet Micah’s call to do justice, to love mercy and to walk humbly with God, we promote decent, affordable housing for all, and we support the global community’s commitment to housing as a basic human right. We will advocate for just and fair housing policy to eliminate the constraints that contribute to poverty housing. And, in all of our work, we will seek to put shelter on hearts and minds in such powerful ways that poverty housing becomes socially, politically and religiously unacceptable.
- Promote dignity and hope. We believe that no one lives in dignity until everyone can live in dignity. We believe that every person has something to contribute and something to gain from creating communities in which all people have decent, affordable places to live. We believe that dignity and hope are best achieved through equitable, accountable partnerships.
- Support sustainable and transformational development. We view our work as successful when it transforms lives and promotes positive and lasting social, economic and spiritual change within a community; when it is based on mutual trust and fully shared accomplishment; and when it demonstrates responsible stewardship of all resources entrusted to us.
Non-proselytizing policy Habitat for Humanity International and its affiliated organizations will not proselytize. Nor will HFH work with entities or individuals who insist on proselytizing as part of their work with HFH. This means that HFH will not offer assistance on the expressed or implied condition that people must adhere to or convert to a particular faith or listen and respond to messaging designed to induce conversion to a particular faith.